The Los Angeles Lakers (11-27), who are currently on a nine-game skid, will attempt to get back in the win column when they welcome the Atlanta Hawks (10-28) to Staples Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 217 points with Los Angeles set as a 3-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9:30 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018, and it can be seen on Fox Sports – Southeast.
Atlanta Hawks vs. Los Angeles Lakers Free Preview
In the Hawks last contest, they lost big to the Portland Trail Blazers, 110-89. Atlanta’s Ersan Ilyasova recorded nine points and 11 rebounds in the contest. Portland made 13 of their 30 three pointers (43.3 percent). Atlanta, meanwhile, did a great job of getting and making free throws (21-25; 84.0 percent).
The Lakers are hoping for a better outcome after their 108-94 loss to the Charlotte Hornets in their last matchup. Brandon Ingram was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 10-for-18 shooting. Charlotte’s offensive rebounding percentage was their largest strength over Los Angeles. The Hornets had a rate of 32.0 (above their season average of 23.0), while the Lakers posted a mark of 23.1.
It could be an error-filled game for the Los Angeles offense. Los Angeles ranks 29th in the league in ball protection (turnover percentage of 15.3 percent), while the disruptive defense of Atlanta forces the most turnovers in the NBA (16.2 percent).
Of Atlanta’s 38 games, 19 have finished under the projected point total, while 21 of Los Angeles 38 games have finished over the projected point total. Both teams have awful straight up (SU) records (10-28 for Atlanta; 11-27 for Los Angeles), but the Hawks have the edge against the spread (ATS). Atlanta is 20-16-2 ATS, while the Lakers are 17-21.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Lakers won both games played against each other last season. In the most recent contest, Los Angeles won 109-94. The Lakers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.179 and an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 32.6. The Hawks put up marks of 0.045 and 15.6, respectively, for those same stats.
Atlanta Hawks at Los Angeles Lakers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Lakers, ATS Winner – Hawks, O/U – Under
- The Hawks average 18.2 points off turnovers per game, which ranks sixth in the NBA. The Lakers rank 29th in points off turnovers allowed per game (19.4).
- Atlanta ranks sixth in steals per game (8.6) while Los Angeles ranks 25th in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- Los Angeles ranks second in fast break points per game (15.8) while Atlanta ranks 24th (9.4).
- Los Angeles ranks 19th in three pointers attempted per game (27.2) while Atlanta ranks 26th in three pointers allowed per game (31.1).
- Los Angeles is 8-12 ATS at home, while Atlanta is 10-8-2 ATS on the road.
- The Hawks have 12 unders and 8 overs in 20 road games.
- Of the Lakers 20 home games, they have 12 overs and 8 unders.
- In games where they allow below 100 points, Los Angeles is 5-3 and Atlanta is 3-3.
- The Hawks are 10-15 when they score more than 100 points, while the Lakers are 11-15.
- The Lakers average 23.1 assists per game, which ranks eighth in the NBA. The Hawks rank 29th in assists allowed per game (25.6).
- Los Angeles ranks first in points in the paint per game (53.9) while Atlanta ranks 26th (41.0).
- The Lakers rank third in second chance points per game (14.6) while the Hawks rank 28th in second chance points allowed per game (14.1).
- The Lakers rank sixth in blocks per game (5.2) while the Hawks rank 25th (4.1).
- Los Angeles ranks third in rebounds per game (46.2) while Atlanta ranks 27th (40.1).
- Los Angeles is 1-4 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Atlanta is 2-2-1 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Lakers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 18.0, up from 5.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hawks have scored an average of 101.4 points per game (2.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 102.6 points per game (5.3 below their season average).