SBC foes will battle when the Georgia State Panthers (10-6, 1-2 SBC) clash against the Arkansas State Red Wolves (6-10, 1-2 SBC) at GSU Sports Arena. Action gets underway at 2:15 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Arkansas State Red Wolves at Georgia State Panthers Free Preview
In the Red Wolves last matchup, they got blown out by the Georgia Southern Eagles, 80-49. Arkansas State’s Deven Simms had a solid performance, leading the team in scoring with 10 points on 5-for-13 shooting. Georgia Southern had a much better turnover percentage (11.8 vs. 20.0). Arkansas State, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.086 vs. 0.072).
The Panthers come in on a high note after topping the Little Rock Trojans in their last outing, 73-64. With 19 points on 3-for-12 shooting, D’Marcus Simonds was the top scorer from either team. Georgia State dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.469 (above their season average of 0.179) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 42.4 (above their season average of 24.6). Little Rock was 0.083 and 37.1, respectively, for those same stats.
It could be a sloppy game for the Arkansas State offense. Arkansas State ranks 258th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.4 percent), while the disruptive defense of Georgia State forces the 12th-most turnovers in the NCAA (24.7 percent).
Jeff Thomas has really been playing well over the last five games for Georgia State, averaging 11.2 points per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Red Wolves won the sole game played against each other last season, 78-67. Arkansas State did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (23-31; 74.2 percent). Georgia State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (7.2 vs. 12.2).
Arkansas State Red Wolves at Georgia State Panthers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Arkansas State, ATS Winner – Arkansas State, O/U – Under
- The Panthers rank 173rd in assists per game (13.1) while the Red Wolves rank 237th (11.0).
- Arkansas State ranks 218th in rebounds per game (33.3) while Georgia State ranks 238th (32.7).
- Arkansas State ranks 30th in three pointers allowed per game (18.6) while Georgia State ranks 201st (24.2).
- The Panthers rank 50th in blocks per game (4.6) while the Red Wolves rank 124th (3.1).
- Georgia State ranks 17th in steals per game (8.8) while Arkansas State ranks 90th (6.8).
- The Panthers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 6.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Red Wolves have scored an average of 76.2 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.8 points per game (0.9 above their season average).