Pac-12 foes will battle when the Utah Runnin’ Utes (10-4, 2-1 Pac-12) go head-to-head with the No. 4 Arizona State Sun Devils (12-2, 0-2 Pac-12) at Jon M. Huntsman Center. Arizona State opened as a 2.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 158.5 points. Action gets underway at 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 7, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Utah Runnin’ Utes Odds Preview
In the Sun Devils last contest, they lost to the Colorado Buffaloes, 90-81. Arizona State’s Romello White contributed 10 points and 11 rebounds in the contest. Colorado had a free throw rate of 0.344 (above their season average of 0.250). Arizona State, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 7.6 (better than their season average of 14.0).
The Runnin’ Utes are trying to rebound after their 94-82 loss to the No. 14 Arizona Wildcats in their last game. Sedrick Barefield led Utah in scoring with 23 points on 7-for-16 shooting. Arizona had an offensive rebounding percentage of 42.4 (above their season average of 32.2). Utah, on the other hand, made 12 of their 26 three pointers (46.2 percent).
This battle pits one of the nations top offenses against one of its elite defenses as Arizona State ranks 32nd in effective field goal percentage (0.565) and Utah is 48th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.465).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Arizona State games have finished over 64.3 percent of the time, while games featuring Utah have gone under 58.3 percent of the time. The Sun Devils hold a significant advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 12-2 SU and 10-2-2 ATS, while the Runnin’ Utes are 10-4 SU and 7-5 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year, after the Runnin’ Utes won the lone contest last season, 88-82. The Runnin’ Utes played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 26.5 and a free throw rate of 0.194. For those same stats, the Sun Devils were 13.9 and 0.149, respectively.
Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Utah Runnin’ Utes Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Arizona State, ATS Winner – Arizona State, O/U – Under
- The Sun Devils rank 73rd in rebounds per game (38.1) while the Runnin’ Utes rank 140th in rebounds allowed per game (35.1).
- Utah averages 3.6 blocks per game, which ranks 94th in the NCAA. Arizona State ranks 99th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Arizona State is 4-1-1 ATS on the road with 4 overs and 2 unders.
- At home, Utah is 4-2 ATS with 3 unders, 2 overs and 1 push.
- Utah ranks 56th in three pointers attempted per game (25.3) while Arizona State ranks 249th in three pointers allowed per game (26.4).
- The Runnin’ Utes rank 33rd in assists allowed per game (10.9) while the Sun Devils rank 189th (14.9).
- Arizona State ranks 22nd in steals allowed per game (5.0) while Utah ranks 104th (6.4).
- Utah is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Arizona State is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Runnin’ Utes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.0, down from 7.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Sun Devils have scored an average of 86.8 points per game (3.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.8 points per game (1.1 below their season average).