Pac-12 foes will collide when the Stanford Cardinal (10-8, 4-1 Pac-12) meet the No. 16 Arizona State Sun Devils (14-3, 2-3 Pac-12) at Maples Pavilion. Arizona State is a 4-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 160 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 11 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 17, 2018, and it can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Stanford Cardinal Betting Preview
The Sun Devils edged the Oregon State Beavers in their last outing, 77-75. Shannon Evans was the top scorer from either team with 22 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Arizona State played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.281 (below their season average of 0.357) and a turnover percentage of 15.3 (worse than their season average of 13.8). For those same stats, Oregon State had marks of 0.092 and 16.9, respectively.
In the Cardinal’s last game, they beat the Washington Huskies, 73-64. Daejon Davis had a solid performance for Stanford, contributing 16 points, 10 rebounds and five assists. The Cardinal had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 35.9 (above their season average of 30.8) and held the Huskies to an effective field goal percentage of 0.420 (below their season average of 0.537).
It could be an error-filled game for the Stanford offense. Stanford ranks 304th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.5 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Arizona State forces the 79th-most turnovers in the nation (21.2 percent).
In terms of the O/U total, these teams are complete opposites. Arizona State games have gone over 58.8 percent of the time, while 66.7 percent of games including Stanford have gone under. The Sun Devils hold a clear advantage in terms of straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 14-3 SU and 10-4-3 ATS, while the Cardinal are 10-8 SU and 7-10-1 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Sun Devils won all three matchups last season. In the most recent matchup, Arizona State won 98-88. The Sun Devils dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.373 and a phenomenal effective field goal percentage of 0.644. The Cardinal had marks of 0.137 and 0.534, respectively, for those same stats.
Arizona State Sun Devils at Stanford Cardinal Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Arizona State, ATS Winner – Arizona State, O/U – Under
- The Cardinal rank 162nd in assists per game (13.3) while the Sun Devils rank 200th in assists allowed per game (15.3).
- Arizona State averages 3.4 blocks per game, which ranks 108th in the NCAA. Stanford ranks 125th in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- On the road, Arizona State is 4-1-2 ATS with 4 overs and 3 unders.
- At home, Stanford is 5-6-1 ATS with 7 unders, 4 overs and 1 push.
- Arizona State averages 24.6 three pointers per game, which ranks 67th in the nation. Stanford ranks 185th in three pointers allowed per game (23.6).
- The Sun Devils rank 35th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while the Cardinal rank 147th (7.1).
- Stanford averages 38.8 rebounds per game, which ranks 47th in the nation. Arizona State ranks 155th in rebounds allowed per game (35.6).
- Stanford is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Arizona State is 0-3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Cardinal’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.8, up from 0.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Sun Devils have scored an average of 77.6 points per game (10.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 80.4 points per game (6.2 above their season average).