The California Golden Bears (7-12, 1-5 Pac-12), who are currently riding a five-game losing streak, look to get back in the win column when they welcome the No. 16 Arizona State Sun Devils (14-4, 2-4 Pac-12) to Haas Pavilion. Arizona State opened as a 12.5-point favorite, while the game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 159.5 points. Action gets underway at 10:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 20, 2018, and it can be seen on Pac-12 Network.
Arizona State Sun Devils at California Golden Bears Free Preview
In the Sun Devils’ last game, they lost to the Stanford Cardinal, 86-77. With 19 points on 4-for-6 shooting, Romello White led Arizona State in scoring. Stanford had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.1 (above their season average of 31.1). Arizona State, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (10.0 vs. 14.9).
The Golden Bears are hoping for a better outcome after their 79-58 loss to the No. 14 Arizona Wildcats in their last outing. Justice Sueing was California’s leading scorer with 19 points on 6-for-17 shooting. Arizona had an effective field goal percentage of 0.730 (above their season average of 0.562). California, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (21-30; 70.0 percent).
The offensive glass could be a huge edge for California in this battle. The Golden Bears rank 26th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.4 percent), while Arizona State ranks 291st in defensive rebounding percentage (68.1 percent). Furthermore, the Sun Devils’ ninth-ranked offense (offensive efficiency of 119.5) will square off against the Golden Bears’ 322nd-ranked defense (defensive efficiency of 111.2).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Sun Devils, it’s been Kodi Justice, who has averaged 15.4 points and 1.6 steals, while the Golden Bears have gotten solid contributions from Sueing (19.2 points, 7.6 rebounds and 1.8 steals).
This is the first time these teams will meet this year. The Golden Bears won both meetings played against each other last season. In the last game, California won 68-43. California’s effective field goal percentage was its largest strength over Arizona State. The Golden Bears had a rate of 0.545 while the Sun Devils posted a mark of 0.280.
Arizona State Sun Devils at California Golden Bears Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Arizona State, ATS Winner – California, O/U – Under
- The Sun Devils rank 26th in steals allowed per game (5.1) while the Golden Bears rank 90th (6.2).
- California averages 36.1 rebounds per game, which ranks 135th in the NCAA. Arizona State ranks 165th in rebounds allowed per game (36.1).
- Arizona State ranks 74th in three pointers attempted per game (24.4) while California ranks 279th (15.1).
- The Sun Devils rank 79th in assists per game (15.0) while the Golden Bears rank 249th (10.5).
- California ranks 24th in blocks per game (5.2) while Arizona State ranks 110th (3.4).
- The Golden Bears average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 19.4, up from 7.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Sun Devils have scored an average of 77.4 points per game (9.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 80.8 points per game (5.9 above their season average).