The Appalachian State Mountaineers (9-14, 4-6 SBC) head to UT Arlington to play the Mavericks (13-10, 4-6 SBC) in a game that will likely be up-tempo. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 155.5 points with UT Arlington opening as a 12-point favorite. Action starts at 8:15 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 1, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Appalachian State Mountaineers vs. UT Arlington Mavericks Odds Preview
The last time the Mountaineers played, they were beaten by the Arkansas State Red Wolves, 93-88. Appalachian State’s Isaac Johnson had 10 points and 12 rebounds in the game. Arkansas State did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (21-27; 77.8 percent). Appalachian State, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.8 (above their season average of 31.3).
The Mavericks are trying to rebound after their 74-59 loss to the Georgia Southern Eagles in their last contest. Kevin Hervey was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 11-for-23 shooting. Georgia Southern did a fantastic job of making free throws (17-24; 70.8 percent). UT Arlington, on the other hand, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 36.1 (above their season average of 30.6).
There should be plenty of transition offense in this contest that features two of the nation’s more fast-paced teams. UT Arlington ranks 24th in possessions per game (74.5) and Appalachian State is 53rd (72.9).
Of Appalachian State’s 20 games that accepted bets, 10 have finished over the O/U total, while 12 of UT Arlington’s 20 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Mavericks have a clear advantage. They are 13-10 SU and 11-9 ATS, while the Mountaineers are 9-14 SU and 9-10-1 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to score 156 points, just over the projected point total of 155.5. The Mountaineers won 80-76, covering as 4.5-point underdogs. Appalachian State had a much better free throw rate (0.370 vs. 0.214). UT Arlington, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (29.2 vs. 18.4). Erick Neal was the game’s top overall scorer with 27 points.
Appalachian State Mountaineers at UT Arlington Mavericks Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – UT Arlington, ATS Winner – Appalachian State, O/U – Over
- The Mavericks rank 44th in steals per game (7.5) while the Mountaineers rank 163rd in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- UT Arlington ranks 19th in blocks allowed per game (2.4) while Appalachian State ranks 114th (3.6).
- Appalachian State is 5-7 ATS on the road, while UT Arlington is 5-3 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 7 of the Mountaineers’ 12 road games, while 5 of the Mavericks’ 8 home games have gone under.
- Appalachian State averages 27.0 three pointers per game, which ranks 28th in the nation. UT Arlington ranks 265th in three pointers allowed per game (26.4).
- The Mavericks average 39.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 33rd in the NCAA. The Mountaineers rank 198th in rebounds allowed per game (36.4).
- UT Arlington ranks 41st in assists per game (16.3) while Appalachian State ranks 170th (13.1).
- UT Arlington is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Appalachian State is 2-2-1 ATS with 3 overs, 1 under and 1 push.
- The Mavericks’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.8, down from 5.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mountaineers have scored an average of 75.0 points per game (2.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 76.8 points per game (1.1 above their season average).