SBC foes will collide when the Troy Trojans (8-11, 2-4 SBC) go head-to-head with the Appalachian State Mountaineers (8-12, 3-4 SBC) at Trojan Arena. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 153.5 points with Troy opening as an 8-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:15 p.m. ET on Monday, January 22, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Appalachian State Mountaineers at Troy Trojans Betting Preview
The Mountaineers fell to the South Alabama Jaguars in their last outing, 83-77. Craig Hinton put together a good game for Appalachian State, putting up 13 points and six rebounds. South Alabama did an excellent job of converting from the free throw line (22-25; 88.0 percent). Appalachian State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (15.4 vs. 16.9).
The last time the Trojans played, they were topped by the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers, 74-73. Jordan Varnado was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 7-for-15 shooting. Coastal Carolina had an offensive rebounding percentage of 43.6 (above their season average of 35.2). Troy, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 9.4 (better than their season average of 15.9).
Appalachian State could have a tough time creating turnovers. Troy ranks 97th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.7 percent), while Appalachian State forces the 99th-fewest turnovers (18.2 percent).
Of Appalachian State’s 17 games with betting action, nine have finished under the projected point total, while 9 of Troy’s 16 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have mediocre straight up (SU) records (8-12 for Appalachian State; 8-11 for Troy), but the Mountaineers hold a slight edge against the spread (ATS). Appalachian State is 8-9 ATS, while the Trojans are 7-9.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Trojans won both games last season. In the most recent contest, Troy won 84-64. The Trojans 7.3 turnover percentage was their largest strength over the Mountaineers, who had a rate of 15.2.
Appalachian State Mountaineers vs. Troy Trojans Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Appalachian State, ATS Winner – Appalachian State, O/U – Under
- The Trojans average 5.6 steals per game, which ranks 158th in the nation. The Mountaineers rank 170th in steals allowed per game (7.5).
- Appalachian State is 4-7 ATS on the road, while Troy is 2-3 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 3 of the Trojans 5 home games, while 6 of the Mountaineers 11 road games have gone over.
- Appalachian State averages 39.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 29th in the NCAA. Troy ranks 195th in rebounds allowed per game (36.9).
- The Mountaineers rank 24th in three pointers attempted per game (26.9) while the Trojans rank 136th in three pointers allowed per game (22.0).
- Troy ranks 36th in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while Appalachian State ranks 83rd (3.4).
- Troy is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Appalachian State is 2-3 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Trojans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.0, down from 3.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Mountaineers have scored an average of 63.6 points per game (13.8 below their season average) and allowed an average of 73.0 points per game (2.0 below their season average).