The Staples Center is playing host to an enticing tilt as the Anaheim Ducks take on the Los Angeles Kings. The puck drops at 10:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 23, and fans at home can catch this Pacific Division matchup live on Fox Sports West.
Anaheim Ducks vs. Los Angeles Kings Odds
Moneyline odds have not yet been posted for this matchup.
Anaheim is 31-45 straight up (SU) and has lost 11.4 units for moneyline bettors this year. 45 of its outings have gone under the total, while 26 have gone over and just four have pushed. This 2018-19 Ducks team is 14-23 SU on the road.
Anaheim has converted on just 16.7 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a figure that places them in the bottom-10 overall among NHL teams. Its penalty kill is ranked 22nd overall, and it has successfully killed off 79.1 percent of all penalties.
For the team as a whole, Anaheim has been sent to the penalty box 3.9 times per game overall during the 2018-19 season, and 5.1 per game over its past ten. The team has been forced to defend opponent power plays just 7.2 minutes per game over their last five road outings.
Boasting a .916 save percentage and 28.8 saves per game, John Gibson (24-31-8) has been the best option in goal for Anaheim this season. Gibson played last night, however, so head coach Bob Murray may choose to rest him and instead turn to Ryan Miller (8-9-1 record, .915 save percentage, 2.66 goals against average).
Ryan Getzlaf and Adam Henrique will both lead the offensive attack for the visiting Ducks. Getzlaf (47 points) is up to 13 goals and 34 assists, and has recorded multiple points 15 times. Henrique has 18 goals and 21 assists to his name (and has registered at least one point in 31 games).
On the other side of the rink, Los Angeles is 26-47 straight up (SU) and has lost 18.9 units for moneyline bettors this year. Through 73 regular season outings, 36 of its games have gone under the total, while 34 have gone over and just three have pushed. It’s 14-23 SU at home this year.
Los Angeles has converted on just 15.6 percent of its power play opportunities this year, a figure that’s ranked 27th in the NHL. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 30th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 75.2 percent of all penalties.
Los Angeles skaters have been sent to the penalty box only 3.3 times per game this season, 2.8 per game over their last five outings total, and 3.2 per game over their last five home outings. The team has been forced to kill penalties just 6.8 minutes per game over their last 10 outings.
Jonathan Quick (26.2 saves per game) has been the top choice in the crease for Los Angeles. Quick has 14 wins, 27 losses, and six OT losses and has registered a pedestrian 3.26 goals against average and a poor .892 save percentage this year.
The home team offense will be led by Anze Kopitar (21 goals, 32 assists).
Anaheim Ducks at Los Angeles Kings Free Picks
Prediction: SU Winner – Ducks, O/U – Under
- The under has hit in three of Anaheim’s last five outings.
- Penalties and power plays could play a critical role in the outcome of this matchup. The Ducks are 6-11 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than their opponent and 17-30 in games where they serve fewer than 10 penalty minutes, in total. The Kings are 9-18 when they serve fewer penalty minutes than the opposition and 20-34 when they’re in the box for less than 10 minutes.
- Los Angeles is 2-3 in games decided by a shootout this season while Anaheim is 3-2 in shootouts.
- Los Angeles has created 5.4 takeaways per game over its last five home games, right in line with its season average of 5.2 takeaways per game (ranked 31st in the NHL).
- Anaheim skaters have created 5.4 takeaways per game over its last five road games, a drop-off from its season average of 6.7 takeaways per game (ranked 25th in the league).
- Anaheim could hold an advantage if it’s a tight one late. The team’s 19-16 in one-goal games, while Los Angeles is 12-16 in such games.