In a game that features two of the league’s very best penalty-kill units, the Anaheim Ducks and the Dallas Stars face off at the American Airlines Center for a Western Conference showdown. The match gets underway at 8:30 p.m. ET on Friday, March 9, and it can be watched live on Fox Sports Southwest.
Anaheim Ducks vs. Dallas Stars Odds
Dallas is 37-30 straight up (SU) and has lost 4.2 units for moneyline bettors thus far. That early-season winning percentage is a huge turnaround from how the team performed during last year’s regular season (34-48). Of its 67 games this season, 34 have gone over the total, while 31 have gone under and just two have pushed. The team’s 23-13 SU at home this year.
The Stars have converted on 19.0 percent of their power play chances this year, a mark that’s right around league average. On the other hand, their penalty kill is rated third overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 83.2 percent of all penalties.
As a collective unit, the Stars have been penalized 4.3 times per game overall this season, and 5.0 per game over their past five contests. The team has been forced to defend opposition power plays for 10.6 minutes per contest over their last five home games.
Averaging 25.3 saves per game with a .917 save percentage, Ben Bishop (26-25-5) has been the best option in goal for Dallas this season. If head coach Ken Hitchcock decides to give him a rest, however, Dallas might roll with Kari Lehtonen (12-12-12 record, .919 save percentage, 2.30 goals against average).
The Stars will continue looking for offensive production out of Tyler Seguin and Alexander Radulov. Seguin (62 points) is up to 36 goals and 26 assists and has recorded multiple points on 16 separate occasions this year. Radulov has 24 goals and 35 assists to his name and has recorded a point in 41 games.
Anaheim is 34-34 straight up (SU) and has lost 0.7 units for bettors taking the moneyline this year. A total of 41 of its contests have gone under the total, while 25 have gone over and just one has pushed. The Ducks are 15-20 SU as the away team this season.
The Ducks have converted on just 18.2 percent of their power play opportunities this year, a mark that’s ranked 24th in the NHL. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked third overall and it’s successfully killed off 83.2 percent of all penalties.
Anaheim’s skaters have been penalized 4.4 times per game in total this season, and 3.6 per game over their last five road outings. The team’s been forced to stave off opponent power plays just 8.0 minutes per game over their last five outings.
John Gibson (2.49 goals against average and .926 save percentage) has been the primary option in goal for Anaheim. Gibson is averaging 29.6 saves per game and owns a 26-24-7 record.
Rickard Rakell (30 goals, 28 assists) will lead the attack for the visiting Ducks.
Anaheim Ducks at Dallas Stars Betting Picks
NHL Prediction: SU Winner – Ducks, O/U – Under
- Over Dallas’ last ten outings, six of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 2-4 in those games).
- The Stars are 17-15 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Ducks are 23-16 SU in games where they spend more time in the box than the opposition.
- Two of Anaheim’s last ten games have been decided by a shootout. The team is 1-1 in those games and 4-7 overall in shootouts this season.
- The total has gone under in four of Dallas’ last five games.
- Dallas is ranked 12th this season with 8.6 giveaways per game. That figure has trended higher recently, as it’s averaged 9.8 giveaways over its last 10 games and 12.6 giveaways over its last five.
- Anaheim has averaged 5.6 giveaways over its last five home games, an improvement from its season average of 10.0 giveaways per game (ranked 21st).
- This game features a couple of the more aggressive teams in the league. Anaheim skaters have accounted for the league’s sixth-most hits per game (24.3) and the Stars have registered the 12th-most (22.2).