The American University Eagles (3-10, 0-2 Pat) look to end their five-game road losing streak in a matchup against the Navy Midshipmen (10-5, 1-1 Pat) at Alumni Hall. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018.
American University Eagles vs. Navy Midshipmen Free Preview
The Eagles fell to the Colgate Raiders in their last game, 72-63. American University’s Sam Iorio put together a solid performance, putting up 18 points and 10 rebounds. Colgate forced the Eagles into a turnover percentage of 25.3 (above their season average of 18.2). American University, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (12-16; 75.0 percent).
In the Midshipmen’s last matchup, they beat the Lehigh Mountain Hawks, 78-66. Navy received a boost from George Kiernan, who was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 6-for-13 shooting. Navy played a flawless game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.328 (above their season average of 0.264) and a turnover percentage of 11.2 (better than their season average of 19.0). For those same stats, Lehigh had marks of 0.164 and 17.5, respectively.
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Navy currently ranks 295th in possessions per game (67.6) and American University is 310th (67.2). Furthermore, second chance points figure to be few and far between for the Eagles. They rank 317th in the nation in offensive rebounding percentage at 23.6 percent, while the Midshipmen are 23rd-best on the defensive glass (defensive rebounding percentage of 75.8 percent).
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Eagles won the most recent contest 74-58. Getting to the charity stripe was one of American University’s biggest advantages. They had 30 free throw attempts, while Navy had 20.
American University Eagles vs. Navy Midshipmen ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – American University, ATS Winner – American University, O/U – Under
- The Midshipmen rank 125th in assists per game (14.2) while the Eagles rank 148th in assists allowed per game (13.9).
- Navy ranks eighth in rebounds allowed per game (29.8) while American University ranks 188th (36.8).
- The Eagles rank 49th in three pointers allowed per game (19.7) while the Midshipmen rank 117th (21.7).
- Navy ranks 126th in steals per game (6.2) while American University ranks 167th in steals allowed per game (7.7).
- The Midshipmen’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 3.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Eagles have scored an average of 59.8 points per game (4.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.0 points per game (2.8 below their season average).