The Alcorn State Braves (4-10, 0-1 SWAC) will attempt to snap a nine-game road losing streak when they clash against the Texas Southern Tigers (1-13, 1-0 SWAC) at Health & PE Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Alcorn State Braves at Texas Southern Tigers Betting Preview,
The Braves were beaten by the Prairie View A&M Panthers in their last contest, 76-64. Dante Sterling had a good game for Alcorn State, leading both teams in scoring with 17 points on 5-for-6 shooting. Prairie View A&M had an effective field goal percentage of 0.571 (above their season average of 0.475). Alcorn State, meanwhile, did a great job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (19-27; 70.4 percent).
The last time the Tigers played, they defeated the Southern University Jaguars, 78-66. Texas Southern was led by Demontrae Jefferson, who finished with 25 points, seven rebounds and seven assists. Texas Southern’s effective field goal percentage was their biggest advantage over Southern University. The Tigers had a rate of 0.539 (above their season average of 0.471), while the Jaguars posted a mark of 0.396 (below the 0.546 mark opponents have averaged against Texas Southern this season).
Texas Southern could have a tough time creating turnovers. Alcorn State ranks 228th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 19.7 percent), while Texas Southern forces the sixth-fewest turnovers (15.5 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. The Tigers won all three meetings played against each other last season. In the last game, Texas Southern won 53-50. Texas Southern had a better effective field goal percentage (0.441 vs. 0.360). Alcorn State, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (41.9 vs. 28.6).
Alcorn State Braves vs. Texas Southern Tigers Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas Southern, ATS Winner – Texas Southern, O/U – Over
- The Tigers rank 72nd in blocks per game (4.1) while the Braves rank 86th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Alcorn State ranks 65th in three pointers attempted per game (24.9) while Texas Southern ranks 233rd in three pointers allowed per game (25.1).
- The Braves average 14.0 assists per game, which ranks 129th in the nation. The Tigers rank 244th in assists allowed per game (18.9).
- Texas Southern averages 34.6 rebounds per game, which ranks 186th in the nation. Alcorn State ranks 241st in rebounds allowed per game (39.6).
- The Tigers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 13.0, down from 13.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Braves have scored an average of 66.6 points per game (3.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (4.8 below their season average).