The Alcorn State Braves (4-9) can end an eight-game road losing streak when they take on the Prairie View A&M Panthers (3-11) at William Nicks Center. Action starts at 6 p.m. ET on Monday, January 1, 2018.
Alcorn State Braves vs. Prairie View A&M Panthers ATS Preview
The Braves got blown out by the Vanderbilt Commodores in their last matchup, 92-51. Alcorn State’s A.J. Mosby had a solid performance, leading the team in scoring with 11 points on 4-for-11 shooting. Vanderbilt held the Braves to an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 25.7). Alcorn State, meanwhile, did a terrific job of making free throws (11-13; 84.6 percent).
In the Panthers last game, they thoroughly outplayed the Jarvis Christian Bulldogs, 110-80. Prairie View A&M received a boost from Zachary Hamilton, who was the top scorer from either team with 25 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Prairie View A&M played a nearly flawless game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 34.4 (above their season average of 29.4) and a turnover percentage of 16.1 (better than their season average of 18.4). Jarvis Christian recorded marks of 13.8 and 25.0, respectively, for those same stats.
It could be an error-filled game for the Alcorn State offense. Alcorn State ranks 192nd in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 19.1 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Prairie View A&M forces the 48th-most turnovers in the nation (23.2 percent).
Mosby has really been playing well over the last five games for Alcorn State, averaging 15.8 points, 5.8 rebounds, 5.4 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last game, the Panthers won 66-60. The Panthers 13.9 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Braves, who had a rate of 21.3.
Alcorn State Braves vs. Prairie View A&M Panthers Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Prairie View A&M, ATS Winner – Prairie View A&M, O/U – Over
- The Braves average 14.2 assists per game, which ranks 117th in the NCAA. The Panthers rank 121st in assists allowed per game (14.5).
- Prairie View A&M ranks 45th in three pointers allowed per game (21.7) while Alcorn State ranks 253rd (26.7).
- The Panthers average 7.5 steals per game, which ranks 38th in the nation. The Braves rank 107th in steals allowed per game (6.5).
- Alcorn State ranks 210th in rebounds per game (33.8) while Prairie View A&M ranks 254th (33.2).
- The Panthers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.4, down from 9.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Braves have scored an average of 71.6 points per game (1.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 69.0 points per game (10.2 below their season average).