The Alcorn State Braves (7-16, 3-7 SWAC) will try to snap the seven-game winning streak of Grambling State when they head to Assembly Center to square off against the Tigers (11-12, 7-3 SWAC). Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 5, 2018.
Alcorn State Braves vs. Grambling State Tigers ATS Preview
The Braves lost a close one to the Jackson State Tigers in their last game, 60-57. A.J. Mosby had a solid performance for Alcorn State, leading the team in scoring with 17 points on 5-for-12 shooting. Jackson State forced the Braves into a turnover percentage of 21.6 (above their season average of 18.4). Alcorn State, meanwhile, held the Tigers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.3 (below their season average of 31.2).
The last time the Tigers played, they beat the Southern University Jaguars, 69-68. Grambling State was lifted by Ivy Smith Jr. who was the teams leading scorer with 20 points on 4-for-17 shooting. Grambling State’s 14.7 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over Southern University, who had a mark of 19.8. The Tigers mark was better than their season average of 18.2, while the Jaguars was above their season average of 15.8.
It will be a matchup of contrasting paces as the fast-paced Tigers (ranked 39th in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Braves (209th in possessions per game).
These teams have already met once this season. The Tigers won 72-61. The Tigers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.350 and an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 48.8. The Braves put up marks of 0.200 and 30.6, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, Yalen Reed was a top performer in the game with 14 points and seven rebounds.
Alcorn State Braves vs. Grambling State Tigers Free Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Grambling State, ATS Winner – Grambling State, O/U – Under
- The Braves rank 209th in assists per game (12.3) while the Tigers rank 237th (11.7).
- Alcorn State ranks 107th in three pointers attempted per game (22.8) while Grambling State ranks 279th (14.9).
- The Tigers average 37.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 93rd in the NCAA. The Braves rank 245th in rebounds allowed per game (37.9).
- Grambling State averages 8.0 steals per game, which ranks 21st in the nation. Alcorn State ranks 121st in steals allowed per game (6.3).
- The Tigers have outscored opponents by an average of 6.6 points in their last five games. For the season, Grambling State has been defeated by an average of 4.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Braves have scored an average of 62.6 points per game (4.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.6 points per game (12.1 below their season average).