The Vermont Catamounts (16-5, 6-0 AmEast) put their nine-game winning streak on the line when they clash with the Albany Great Danes (16-6, 4-3 AmEast) at Roy L Patrick Gymnasium. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 24, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Albany Great Danes vs. Vermont Catamounts Betting Preview
The Great Danes easily got past the UMBC Retrievers in their last game, 83-39. Travis Charles was the top scorer from either team with 21 points on 9-for-15 shooting. Albany played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.140 (below their season average of 0.284) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.658 (above their season average of 0.510). For those same stats, UMBC was 0.056 and 0.333, respectively.
In the Catamounts last matchup, they blew out the Hartford Hawks, 76-53. Vermont received a boost from Trae Bell-Haynes, who finished with 17 points and six rebounds. Vermont played a perfect game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.458 (above their season average of 0.295) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.4 (below their season average of 26.9). Hartford was 0.130 and 15.2, respectively, for those same stats.
It might turn into a shootout as a pair of the NCAA’s premier offenses clash. Vermont ranks 18th with 117.1 points per 100 possessions and Albany is 45th (113.5). Additionally, the Great Danes, who rank 24th in offensive rebounding percentage (35.4 percent), will face a difficult test against the Catamounts, who rank sixth in defensive rebounding percentage (77.9 percent).
Bell-Haynes has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Vermont, averaging 19.6 points and 1.8 steals per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Catamounts won all three contests last season. In the most recent matchup, Vermont won 56-53. Vermont’s free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Albany. The Catamounts had a rate of 0.375, while the Great Danes posted a mark of 0.170.
Albany Great Danes vs. Vermont Catamounts Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Vermont, ATS Winner – Vermont, O/U – Over
- Albany ranks 87th in rebounds per game (37.4) while Vermont ranks 266th (32.1).
- The Catamounts rank 209th in three pointers attempted per game (20.0) while the Great Danes rank 283rd (15.3).
- Vermont is 38th in the NCAA with 5.3 steals allowed per game while Albany is 54th with 5.5 steals allowed per game.
- The Catamounts average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.8, up from 8.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Great Danes have scored an average of 76.2 points per game (0.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.2 points per game (6.5 below their season average).