SWAC foes will clash when the UAPB Golden Lions (9-15, 9-1 SWAC) meet the Alabama State Hornets (4-18, 4-6 SWAC) at H.O. Clemmons Arena. Action starts at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, February 5, 2018.
Alabama State Hornets at UAPB Golden Lions ATS Preview
The Hornets beat the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils in their last contest, 89-85. Reginald Gee led Alabama State in scoring with 19 points on 7-for-15 shooting. The Hornets had a better free throw rate (0.219 vs. 0.186) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.586 (above their season average of 0.451).
The last time the Golden Lions played, they blew out the Alabama A&M Bulldogs, 80-62. UAPB’s Martaveous McKnight played a massive role in the victory, racking up 30 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists on his way to his zeroth triple-double of the season. UAPB dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.603 (above their season average of 0.490) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.4 (above their season average of 22.4). For those same stats, Alabama A&M was 0.411 and 36.8, respectively.
It could be an error-filled game for the Alabama State offense. Alabama State ranks 277th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.5 percent), while the pesky defense of UAPB forces the 31st-most turnovers in the NCAA (22.5 percent).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Hornets, it’s been Gee, who has averaged 19.8 points and 5.6 rebounds, while the Golden Lions have gotten solid contributions from McKnight (20.2 points, 5.4 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 2.0 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The Golden Lions won 94-68. UAPB made 13 of their 22 three pointers (59.1 percent), while Alabama State was 6-23 (26.1 percent). McKnight was the games top overall scorer with 24 points.
Alabama State Hornets at UAPB Golden Lions ATS Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – UAPB, ATS Winner – UAPB, O/U – Under
- The Golden Lions rank 215th in assists per game (12.2) while the Hornets rank 271st (9.8).
- UAPB ranks 30th in steals per game (7.8) while Alabama State ranks 169th (5.5).
- The Golden Lions rank first in blocks allowed per game (1.7) while the Hornets rank 134th (3.8).
- Alabama State ranks 144th in rebounds per game (35.6) while UAPB ranks 275th (28.9).
- The Golden Lions have outscored opponents by an average of 5.4 points in their last five games. For the season, UAPB has lost by an average of 7.5 points.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 75.2 points per game (7.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.4 points per game (0.4 above their season average).