The Alabama State Hornets (0-10) are off to a slow start and will try to pick up their first win when they challenge the Jackson State Tigers (3-10) at Williams Center. Action gets underway at 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 1, 2018.
Alabama State Hornets at Jackson State Tigers Free Preview
The Hornets lost to the Winthrop Eagles in their last outing, 88-80. With 30 points on 10-for-15 shooting, Jacoby Ross was the games high scorer. Winthrop had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.7 (above their season average of 29.1). Alabama State, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 14.6 (better than their season average of 19.6).
In the Tigers last game, they were defeated by the Ball State Cardinals, 70-54. Paris Collins was the top scorer from either team with 17 points on 7-for-14 shooting. Ball State had a free throw rate of 0.283 (above their season average of 0.261). Jackson State, on the other hand, forced the Cardinals into a turnover percentage of 22.6 (above their season average of 15.7).
The offensive glass should be a major edge for Jackson State in this showdown. The Tigers are among the NCAA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 85th in offensive rebounding percentage at 33.3 percent. Meanwhile, Alabama State ranks 340th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 63.4 percent. Also, the Hornets rank 319th in turnover percentage (22.2 percent), while the Tigers rank 15th in opponents turnover percentage (24.6 percent).
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Tigers won both games played against each other last season. In the most recent matchup, Jackson State won 65-59. The Tigers played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb turnover percentage of 9.2 and a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 32.6. The Hornets were 23.7 and 25.9, respectively, for those same stats.
Alabama State Hornets vs. Jackson State Tigers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Jackson State, ATS Winner – Jackson State, O/U – Under
- The Tigers average 21.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 145th in the NCAA. The Hornets rank 192nd in three pointers allowed per game (23.8).
- Jackson State averages 2.8 blocks per game, which ranks 142nd in the NCAA. Alabama State ranks 149th in blocks allowed per game (4.6).
- Jackson State ranks 15th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while Alabama State ranks 180th (8.5).
- The Tigers rank 152nd in assists allowed per game (14.0) while the Hornets rank 233rd (17.5).
- Jackson State ranks 184th in rebounds allowed per game (37.1) while Alabama State ranks 251st (41.1).
- The Tigers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 16.4, up from 10.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 68.4 points per game (4.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.6 points per game (5.0 below their season average).