The Alabama State Hornets (0-11, 0-1 SWAC) are off to a slow start and will try to pick up their first victory when they go head-to-head against the Grambling State Tigers (4-10, 0-1 SWAC) at Assembly Center. Action begins at 8:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018.
Alabama State Hornets vs. Grambling State Tigers Odds Preview
The Hornets fell to the Jackson State Tigers in their last contest, 82-73. With 18 points on 5-for-13 shooting, Jacoby Ross led Alabama State in scoring. Jackson State had a better turnover percentage (13.8 vs. 18.5). Alabama State, on the other hand, held the Tigers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.6 (below the 36.6 mark opponents have averaged against Alabama State this season).
The last time the Tigers played, they were defeated by the Alabama A&M Bulldogs, 71-64. Shirmane Thomas was the games high scorer with 19 points on 5-for-13 shooting. Alabama A&M had an effective field goal percentage of 0.541 (above their season average of 0.441). Grambling State, meanwhile, forced the Bulldogs into a turnover percentage of 29.3 (above their season average of 23.1).
The aggressive Grambling State offense could be living from the charity stripe in this contest. The Tigers currently rank 70th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.278, while Alabama State ranks 342nd in FTA rate allowed (0.341).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Tigers won the most recent contest 82-69. The Tigers dominated every stat category in the game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 7.3 and an absurd free throw rate of 0.346. For those same stats, the Hornets had marks of 19.1 and 0.250, respectively.
Alabama State Hornets vs. Grambling State Tigers Odds Prediction,
Predictions: SU Winner – Alabama State, ATS Winner – Alabama State, O/U – Under
- The Tigers rank 207th in assists per game (12.0) while the Hornets rank 243rd (9.8).
- Alabama State averages 3.1 blocks per game, which ranks 123rd in the NCAA. Grambling State ranks 154th in blocks allowed per game (5.0).
- Grambling State averages 8.6 steals per game, which ranks 22nd in the NCAA. Alabama State ranks 171st in steals allowed per game (8.3).
- The Tigers rank 185th in rebounds allowed per game (36.9) while the Hornets rank 252nd (40.5).
- Alabama State ranks 204th in three pointers attempted per game (19.7) while Grambling State ranks 269th (14.8).
- The Tigers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 9.2, down from 10.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 63.6 points per game (0.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.8 points per game (8.3 below their season average).