SEC foes will clash when the Mississippi State Bulldogs (17-6, 5-5 SEC) go head-to-head against the Alabama Crimson Tide (15-8, 6-4 SEC) at Humphrey Coliseum. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 138 points with Mississippi State set as a 3-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018, and it can be seen on SEC Network.
Alabama Crimson Tide vs. Mississippi State Bulldogs Betting Preview
In the Crimson Tide’s last outing, they dismantled the No. 23 Florida Gators, 68-50. Collin Sexton was the top scorer from either team with 17 points on 7-for-15 shooting. The Crimson Tide had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 40.7 (above their season average of 29.0) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.596 (above their season average of 0.518).
The Bulldogs come in on a high note after beating the Georgia Bulldogs in their last game, 72-57. With 20 points on 9-for-17 shooting, Lamar Peters was the top scorer from either team. Mississippi State dominated every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 46.2 (above their season average of 32.3) and a free throw rate of 0.245 (above their season average of 0.211). For those same stats, Georgia put up marks of 19.4 and 0.163, respectively.
Mississippi State should have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Bulldogs currently rank 25th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.463), while Alabama is 141st in effective field goal percentage (0.521).
Games including these teams have a tendency to go under the O/U total. Alabama games have finished under 71.4 percent of the time, while 55.6 percent of Mississippi State games have gone under. The Bulldogs hold the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (17-6 vs. 15-8), but the Crimson Tide have the better against the spread (ATS) record (12-9-1 vs. 7-11).
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 130 points, which was under the projected point total of 138. The Crimson Tide won 68-62, covering as 5-point favorites. The Crimson Tide dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.6 and a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 37.5. For those same stats, the Bulldogs put up marks of 20.2 and 34.2, respectively. Braxton Key was a standout player in the game, putting up 16 points and five rebounds.
Alabama Crimson Tide vs. Mississippi State Bulldogs Odds Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Alabama, ATS Winner – Alabama, O/U – Under
- The Bulldogs average 5.4 blocks per game, which ranks 16th in the nation. The Crimson Tide rank 91st in blocks allowed per game (3.2).
- Mississippi State is 48th in the nation with 11.5 assists allowed per game while Alabama is 54th with 11.7 assists allowed per game.
- Alabama is 6-5 ATS on the road with 6 unders and 5 overs.
- At home, Mississippi State is 6-5 ATS with 6 unders and 5 overs.
- Mississippi State averages 38.2 rebounds per game, which ranks 59th in the NCAA. Alabama ranks 177th in rebounds allowed per game (35.7).
- The Bulldogs rank 122nd in three pointers attempted per game (22.3) while the Crimson Tide rank 227th (19.0).
- Mississippi State ranks 43rd in steals allowed per game (5.3) while Alabama ranks 137th (6.5).
- Mississippi State is 3-2 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Alabama is 3-2 ATS with 5 unders.
- The Bulldogs average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.6, down from 8.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Crimson Tide have scored an average of 68.4 points per game (5.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.4 points per game (2.7 below their season average).