The Akron Zips (10-12, 3-7 MAC) look to put an end to a nine-game road losing streak when they square off with the Ohio Bobcats (9-13, 2-8 MAC) at Convocation Center. Ohio opened as a 5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 143.5 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 6, 2018.
Akron Zips at Ohio Bobcats Odds Preview
In the Zips last game, they were blown out by the Toledo Rockets, 77-56. Akron’s Daniel Utomi had a good game, leading the team in scoring with 17 points on 6-for-12 shooting. Toledo’s free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Akron. The Rockets had a rate of 0.196 (below their season average of 0.267), while the Zips posted a mark of 0.034 (below their season average of 0.222).
The Bobcats are hoping for a better outcome after their 101-98 loss to the Central Michigan Chippewas in their last game. Teyvion Kirk was Ohio’s leading scorer with 24 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Central Michigan did an excellent job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (31-36; 86.1 percent). Ohio, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (15.1 vs. 16.5).
This game should be a battle of conflicting styles. Ohio prefers a fast-paced style of play (26th in possessions per game), while Akron likes to grind-it-out (205th in possessions per game).
Of Akron’s 20 games that accepted bets, 11 have finished under the O/U total, while 9 of Ohio’s 17 games have finished under the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Zips have a significant advantage. They are 10-12 SU and 9-11 ATS, while the Bobcats are 9-13 SU and 6-9-2 ATS.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined to put up 139 points, which was under the projected point total of 145.5. The Zips won 71-68, covering as 1-point favorites. The Zips played a nearly flawless game. They had a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 32.3 and a turnover percentage of 15.2. For those same stats, the Bobcats put up marks of 27.6 and 17.4, respectively. Jimond Ivey had a stellar game, with 17 points and six rebounds.
Akron Zips at Ohio Bobcats Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Akron, ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Under
- The Bobcats rank 131st in assists per game (13.8) while the Zips rank 153rd in assists allowed per game (13.5).
- Akron is 3-7 ATS on the road with 6 unders and 4 overs.
- At home, Ohio is 3-4 ATS with 4 unders and 3 overs.
- Akron ranks 23rd in three pointers attempted per game (27.1) while Ohio ranks 248th in three pointers allowed per game (24.6).
- The Zips rank 124th in rebounds allowed per game (34.3) while the Bobcats rank 275th (39.6).
- Ohio averages 6.8 steals per game, which ranks 88th in the NCAA. Akron ranks 111th in steals allowed per game (6.2).
- Ohio is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Akron is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Bobcats average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 4.6, up from 1.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Zips have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (3.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 80.4 points per game (5.5 above their season average).