The Akron Zips (10-10, 3-5 MAC) will attempt to end an eight-game road losing streak when they take on the Miami (OH) RedHawks (11-10, 4-4 MAC) at John D. Millett Hall. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 135 points with Miami (OH) opening as a 4-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 30, 2018.
Akron Zips at Miami (OH) RedHawks Free Preview
The last time the Zips played, they fell to the Ball State Cardinals, 111-106. With 48 points on 15-for-23 shooting, Jimond Ivey was the games high scorer. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Ball State’s largest advantages. They made 42 trips to the line, while Akron went just 21 times.
The RedHawks are hoping for a better outcome after their 58-48 loss to the Eastern Michigan Eagles in their last contest. Dalonte Brown was the top scorer from either team with 17 points on 6-for-9 shooting. Eastern Michigan held the RedHawks to an effective field goal percentage of 0.375 (below their season average of 0.520). Miami (OH), meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.107 vs. 0.059).
It could be a tough game for Akron on the offensive glass. The Zips rank 212th in offensive rebounding percentage (28.5 percent), while Miami (OH) ranks 77th in defensive rebounding percentage (73.9 percent).
Both of these teams have a tendency to finish under the projected point total. Games featuring Akron have finished under 55.6 percent of the time, while Miami (OH) games have gone under 57.9 percent of the time. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (10-10 for Akron; 11-10 for Miami (OH)), but the RedHawks have the edge against the spread (ATS). Miami (OH) is 11-7-1 ATS, while the Zips are 9-9.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after splitting two games last season. The RedHawks won the last contest 79-75. The RedHawks dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.347 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 27.3. For those same stats, the Zips were 0.167 and 25.0, respectively.
Akron Zips vs. Miami (OH) RedHawks Free Prediction
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Miami (OH), ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Under
- The RedHawks average 14.2 assists per game, which ranks 118th in the NCAA. The Zips rank 121st in assists allowed per game (13.2).
- Miami (OH) is 4-3 ATS at home, while Akron is 3-6 ATS on the road.
- The total has gone under in 4 of the RedHawks 7 home games, while 6 of the Zips 9 road games have gone under.
- Akron ranks 24th in three pointers attempted per game (27.3) while Miami (OH) ranks 124th in three pointers allowed per game (21.5).
- The RedHawks average 38.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 66th in the nation. The Zips rank 105th in rebounds allowed per game (34.0).
- Miami (OH) ranks 64th in steals per game (7.1) while Akron ranks 98th in steals allowed per game (6.2).
- Miami (OH) is 2-2-1 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Akron is 3-2 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The RedHawks have been outscored by an average of 2.0 points in their last five games. On the season, Miami (OH) has defeated opponents by an average of 1.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Zips have scored an average of 77.6 points per game (4.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 77.4 points per game (2.8 above their season average).