The Akron Zips (8-8, 1-3 MAC) can snap a six-game road losing streak when they challenge the Eastern Michigan Eagles (10-7, 1-3 MAC) at Convocation Center. The games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 141 points with Eastern Michigan opening as an 8-point favorite. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Akron Zips at Eastern Michigan Eagles ATS Preview
The last time the Zips played, they barely escaped the Bowling Green Falcons, 80-78. With 19 points and nine rebounds, Jimond Ivey had a solid performance for Akron. Akron’s effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Bowling Green. The Zips had a rate of 0.533 (above their season average of 0.524), while the Falcons posted a mark of 0.471 (below the 0.529 mark opponents have averaged against Akron this season).
The Eagles are trying to rebound after their 72-66 loss to the Northern Illinois Huskies in their last game. With 15 points and 12 rebounds, Eastern Michigan’s James Thompson IV had a solid game. Northern Illinois had an offensive rebounding percentage of 35.1 (above their season average of 28.2). Eastern Michigan, meanwhile, did a great job of making free throws (14-19; 73.7 percent).
This has potential to be an error-filled game for the offense of Akron. Akron ranks 272nd in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 20.5 percent), while the pesky defense of Eastern Michigan forces the 49th-most turnovers in the nation (22.2 percent).
Of Akron’s 14 games with betting action, eight have finished under the projected point total, while 6 of Eastern Michigan’s 11 games have finished under the O/U total. The Eagles have the sizable advantage straight up (SU) (10-7 vs. 8-8), but the Zips have the superior against the spread (ATS) record (6-8 vs. 6-5).
Ivey has been solid over the last five games for Akron, averaging 17.8 points, 4.4 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will clash this year. The Zips won all three contests played against each other last season. In the most recent game, Akron won 79-62. The Zips dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.536 and a turnover percentage of 12.9. For those same stats, the Eagles put up marks of 0.395 and 16.5, respectively.
Akron Zips at Eastern Michigan Eagles ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Akron, ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Under
- The Zips average 13.8 assists per game, which ranks 138th in the nation. The Eagles rank 222nd in assists allowed per game (15.8).
- Akron is 2-5 ATS on the road with 5 unders and 2 overs.
- Eastern Michigan is 3-1 ATS at home with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- Akron ranks 34th in three pointers attempted per game (26.1) while Eastern Michigan ranks 194th (20.2).
- The Eagles rank eighth in steals per game (9.4) while the Zips rank 149th (5.8).
- Eastern Michigan ranks 15th in blocks per game (5.8) while Akron ranks 142nd (2.8).
- Eastern Michigan is 1-3 ATS with 3 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Akron is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Eagles average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.8, down from 5.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Zips have scored an average of 74.2 points per game (1.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.6 points per game (0.3 below their season average).