MAC foes will collide when the Toledo Rockets (8-6, 0-1 MAC) clash with the Akron Zips (7-4, 0-1 MAC) at Savage Arena. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 152 points with Toledo set as a 9.5-point favorite. Action starts at 6:30 p.m. ET on Friday, January 5, 2018, and it can be seen on CBS Sports Network.
Akron Zips vs. Toledo Rockets Odds Preview
The Zips fell to the Western Michigan Broncos in their last game, 87-75. Akron’s Jimond Ivey had a solid game, contributing 18 points, seven assists and five rebounds. Western Michigan had a free throw rate of 0.286 (above their season average of 0.237). Akron, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (14.0 vs. 14.3).
In the Rockets last matchup, they were topped by the Buffalo Bulls, 104-94. With 16 points and 10 rebounds, Willie Jackson put together a solid outing for Toledo. Buffalo had a turnover percentage of 7.1 (better than their season average of 16.6). Toledo, meanwhile, held the Bulls to an offensive rebounding percentage of 18.2 (below their season average of 35.4).
The prolific offense of Toledo (80th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 111.0) will go head-to-head against the mid-tier defense of Akron (225th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 104.3). The Rockets should have the advantage on that end of the court.
Of Akron’s 11 games, six have finished under the O/U total, while 7 of Toledo’s 11 games have finished over the O/U total. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Zips have a clear advantage. They are 7-4 SU and 5-6 ATS, while the Rockets are 8-6 SU and 5-6 ATS.
This is the first time these teams will battle this year, after the Zips won the sole contest last season, 71-65. Akron had a much better turnover percentage (9.1 vs. 15.4). Toledo, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.189 vs. 0.127).
Akron Zips vs. Toledo Rockets Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Toledo, ATS Winner – Akron, O/U – Over
- The Zips average 36.0 rebounds per game, which ranks 144th in the nation. The Rockets rank 152nd in rebounds allowed per game (35.6).
- Akron is 1-5 ATS on the road with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- Toledo is 2-2 ATS at home with 4 overs and 0 unders.
- Akron ranks 59th in three pointers attempted per game (25.4) while Toledo ranks 163rd in three pointers allowed per game (23.0).
- The Zips rank 42nd in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while the Rockets rank 92nd (3.5).
- Toledo averages 15.6 assists per game, which ranks 75th in the nation. Akron ranks 123rd in assists allowed per game (13.4).
- Toledo is 2-2 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Akron is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- The Rockets average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.2, up from 1.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Zips have scored an average of 77.8 points per game (3.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.4 points per game (2.0 above their season average).