The Abilene Christian Wildcats (15-14, 7-9 SthLnd) will travel to William R. Johnson Coliseum to take on the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (23-6, 12-4 SthLnd) in their home finale. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 28, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Abilene Christian Wildcats at Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Odds Preview
The Wildcats lost a tough one against the Central Arkansas Bears in their last matchup, 74-72. Abilene Christian’s Jaren Lewis finished with 14 points and 11 rebounds in the game. Central Arkansas did an excellent job of making free throws (16-21; 76.2 percent). Abilene Christian, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 12.1 (better than their season average of 17.9).
The last time the Lumberjacks played, they were defeated by the Lamar Cardinals, 71-66. TJ Holyfield was Stephen F. Austin’s high scorer with 14 points on 4-for-8 shooting. Lamar made 10 of their 25 three pointers (40.0 percent). Stephen F. Austin, on the other hand, did a terrific job of converting from the free throw line (16-22; 72.7 percent).
This has potential to be a mistake-prone game for the offense of Stephen F. Austin. Stephen F. Austin ranks 321st in the nation in ball protection (turnover percentage of 21.2 percent), while the ball-hawking defense of Abilene Christian forces the 16th-most turnovers in the NCAA (23.0 percent).
Lewis has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Abilene Christian, averaging 15.8 points, 11.8 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Lumberjacks won 76-66. Stephen F. Austin’s rebounding was their biggest advantage. The Lumberjacks had 18 offensive rebounds and 40 total rebounds, while the Wildcats had six and 29, respectively. Kevon Harris was the game’s leading scorer with 23 points.
Abilene Christian Wildcats vs. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Abilene Christian, ATS Winner – Abilene Christian, O/U – Under
- The Wildcats rank 212th in three pointers attempted per game (20.2) while the Lumberjacks rank 262nd (18.6).
- Abilene Christian averages 15.2 assists per game, which ranks 71st in the nation. Stephen F. Austin ranks 109th in assists allowed per game (12.9).
- Abilene Christian ranks 13th in steals per game (8.2) while Stephen F. Austin ranks 208th in steals allowed per game (7.4).
- The Wildcats rank 33rd in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while the Lumberjacks rank 142nd (3.7).
- Stephen F. Austin ranks 41st in rebounds allowed per game (32.0) while Abilene Christian ranks 149th (34.8).
- The Lumberjacks’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 21.4, up from 12.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 67.6 points per game (6.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.2 points per game (0.0 above their season average).