SthLnd foes will battle when the Sam Houston State Bearkats (13-10, 7-3 SthLnd) take on the Abilene Christian Wildcats (14-9, 6-4 SthLnd) at Johnson Coliseum. Action starts at 7:15 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 3, 2018.
Abilene Christian Wildcats vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats ATS Preview
The last time the Wildcats played, they defeated the Lamar Cardinals, 74-69. Jalone Friday was the top scorer from either team with 24 points on 9-for-14 shooting. The Wildcats, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.538, had an extraordinary mark of 0.612 and had a free throw rate of 0.286 (above their season average of 0.233).
The Bearkats come in on a high note after topping the McNeese State Cowboys in their last game, 67-57. Sam Houston State was led by Josh Boutte, who put up 12 points and 12 rebounds. Sam Houston State played a nearly perfect game. They had a free throw rate of 0.246 (above their season average of 0.222) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.5 (above their season average of 32.0). McNeese State was 0.156 and 29.2, respectively, for those same stats.
The offense of Sam Houston State (239th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 102.8) will clash against the top-notch defense of Abilene Christian (65th in the NCAA with a defensive efficiency of 98.2). The Wildcats figure to have the edge on that end of the court.
These teams have already met once this season. The Wildcats won 75-72. The Wildcats dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.291 and an effective field goal percentage of 0.536. The Bearkats were 0.259 and 0.491, respectively, for those same stats. Despite the loss, John Dewey III was a standout player in the game, producing 18 points.
Abilene Christian Wildcats vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Abilene Christian, ATS Winner – Abilene Christian, O/U – Over
- The Wildcats rank 15th in steals per game (8.3) while the Bearkats rank 132nd (6.1).
- Abilene Christian ranks 41st in assists per game (16.3) while Sam Houston State ranks 92nd in assists allowed per game (12.6).
- Sam Houston State ranks 53rd in rebounds per game (38.4) while Abilene Christian ranks 238th (33.0).
- The Wildcats rank 50th in blocks per game (4.3) while the Bearkats rank 198th (2.0).
- Abilene Christian ranks 87th in three pointers allowed per game (20.6) while Sam Houston State ranks 225th (24.2).
- The Bearkats average margin of victory in their last five games has been 4.0, down from 4.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Wildcats have scored an average of 71.0 points per game (4.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 69.2 points per game (1.4 below their season average).